The Stairwell

The Stairwell

It was built by Count Trauttmansdorff over the base of the tower which had collapsed in 1777. A little later, Baron Friedrich von Deuster, who came to live in Trauttmansdorff Castle in 1897, had the coats of arms and names of all the earlier owners added to the walls of the stairwell. These included those of the rather dubious Count Gyulay, who bought the castle in 1892, but departed suddenly three years later, leaving large debts and many defrauded creditors. Baron von Deuster, however, remained the owner of Trauttmansdorff for 30 years – until its expropriation by the Italian state.